‘Find our boys’: New maps show where survivors could be
North Queensland royalty has joined the push for the federal government to send in support for the missing Gulf Livestock 1 crew.
Former Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston has signed a petition calling for action as new information comes to light about a potential search area.
On Friday, Lukas Orda's parents, Dr Ulrich and Sabine Orda, called for the federal government to do more to find their son, who has been missing since September 2, after the ship was hit by a wave during a typhoon off the coast of Japan.
Mr Orda, a vet, grew up in North Queensland and was on board the livestock ship.
Two survivors have been pulled from the rough seas but he was not one of them. Another man was found dead.
But almost two weeks after the tragic incident the Ordas hold out hope their son will be found alive.
The Japanese Coast Guard has scaled back its search for the missing crew of the ship.
After an emotional weekend, the family has renewed its pleas as a New Zealand maritime expert suggested crews could have missed a vital search area about 35 nautical miles east-north-east of Kodakarajima Island.
The maritime expert consulted for the family of missing New Zealand man Lochie Bellerby, with the leader of Katter's Australian Party Robbie Katter calling on the government to listen to the new information.
He said the information clearly showed that if there were survivors, they would be near Kodakarajima Island.
"So if there are survivors out here, no one's even been near them yet," Mr Katter said.
"If anything was supposed to motivate you, we've got more information now since Thursday that there is a likelihood that people could be out there and not seen at all."
The new mapping has spurred Mr Orda's parents to push harder for the federal government to help in the recovery effort.
One crew member who was found alive said that before the incident everyone was wearing life vests. The captain had called everyone to the bridge to enter the lifeboats, but three crew members were washed overboard before they could.
Dr Orda said the family was grateful for everything the federal government had done for them, but the crew members would be dying.
Mrs Orda pleaded with the government to act now and send support to the area to search.
"Please go out and search for our boys," she said. "Please, please bring them home."
Mrs Orda said Lukas's wife Emma was struggling.
In an emotional video posted online, Emma called for the "relevant authorities" to continue the search for survivors.
"Each moment is a living nightmare for us. We don't know whether our Lukas is going to come home through the door or whether he is gone forever," she said.
The pair have a six-month-old baby, Theo.
A federal government spokeswoman said the Australian government continued to support Japan in the search.
"The Japanese government has confirmed to Australia during the weekend that its air and sea search efforts continue," she said.
"We have had strong levels of co-operation with Japanese authorities and we have deep trust in their advanced maritime search and rescue capabilities.
"We regard Japan's Coastguard as highly professional and capable, and we believe its search has been thorough and well-managed.
"We thank them for their ongoing efforts, which have so far included deploying more than a dozen aircraft and ships, including naval assets, in often dangerous conditions.
"Australia continues to engage closely with the Japanese government on the ongoing search efforts by the Japanese Coastguard.
"Australia has offered assistance, acknowledging and respecting Japan's role and responsibilities in this instance under the International Search and Rescue Convention."
Originally published as 'Search for our boys': New maps show where survivors could be